Ways to Achieve Healthy Skin at Home
Many people are currently self-quarantining and practicing physical distancing to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Now is a great time to revisit your skincare regimen and practice a little self care for your skin. Proper skincare doesn't have to be complicated or confusing. We have compiled a few simple tips to help keep your skin looking and feeling healthy while you stay at home.
- Cleanse – Washing your face is essential for removing oil, dirt, pore-clogging bacteria, and dead skin cells. Choose a gentle cleanser that hydrates and doesn’t leave your skin feeling tight or irritated. Consider using lukewarm or cool water over hot water, which can dry out your skin.
- Replenish – As we age, moisture levels decrease, which can make skin appear rough, dull or flaky. Dehydrated skin can make fine lines and wrinkles look more pronounced and contribute to unbalance skin tone and uneven texture. Hydrated skin will appear more supple, radiant and youthful. In addition, many moisturizers contain brighteners to promote even skin tone and vitamins and antioxidants to help condition and protect skin.
- Revitalize – Add a gentle exfoliant to your regimen to help improve your skin’s overall tone and texture. Exfoliating can improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and give your skin a firmer, more glowing appearance. Some serums contain retinoids, which help stimulate collagen production and promote new cell growth.
- Prevent/Protect – Follow up your daily routine with a broad-spectrum sunscreen. No matter how much time you spend outdoors, it is important to shield your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays which can prematurely age skin and put you at risk for various skin cancers.
- Be consistent – Consistency is important when adopting or changing your skin care regimen. If you worry that some product could irritate your skin, incorporate them slowly by using them every other day when you start.
If you struggle with skin care or have concerns about acne or other skin conditions that may be preventing you from achieving your best skin, schedule an appointment with one of our caring providers today! Are you staying at home to maintain physical distance due to COVID-19? We now offer virtual visits so you can discuss skin care with your provider in the comfort of your own home! Ask us how you can change your appointment to a televisit when you call.