IPL Patient Information
IPL (Intense Pulse Light) is a skin rejuvenation technique that improves the appearance of photoaged skin: removes age spots, sun-induced freckles, most benign pigments and redness caused by broken capillaries or rosacea. It also smoothes skin texture, stimulates collagen production, reduces pore size, and slightly softens fine lines. In addition, it improves acne by decreasing the size of sebaceous glands and the bacteria that causes acne. It also lightens the redness seen with acne scarring. You may have redness or swelling for a few hours after the procedure. Brown spots will get darker and then slough off on their own.
Pre Treatment Instructions
- Notify us if you have a history of herpes simplex (cold sores). You may need to be pre-treated with an anti-viral medication prior to treatment.
- Prior to treatment, it is preferable for you to be using a sun block containing zinc oxide.
- Avoid ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun and artificial light sources – such as tanning beds and sun lamps for 4 weeks prior to your treatment. A commitment to stay out of the sun is necessary. Sun exposure may cause certain complications such as blistering and/or hyperpigmentation. The treatment cannot be performed if the areas have recent sun exposure, suntan or sunburn.
- Avoid the use of skin irritants (Vitamin A derivative or alpha or beta hydroxyl acids) for three to five days prior to your treatment.
- Discontinue caffeine and spicy foods 24 hours prior to your treatment.
- Please do not wear any makeup, creams or lotions to your appointment.